I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Moving onto Melville then...

So the problem with the last post was; firstly it was Monday and secondly it was Monday afternoon, which greatly curbed my enthusiasm for all things Jozi. Turns out that most places of interest are closed on Mondays. So there, my first piece of truly useful information posted on a blog.

I have however found a treasure of a list to work myself down in the coming weeks from historical sites to unusual art galleries so watch this space. Some that might only seem appealing to a history nerd like me, so you'll have to deal with that. Unless you yourself are of nerd orientation in which case I hope we connect and become lifelong friends.

I also fortunately have a smoke screen in all my touristing around in the form of an extended American 'guest' which I can use. Who also happens to be great to look at.
So excuses can be made for going to places like the war/transport/apartheid/Africa museums. Excitement is!

I did however in my optimistic notions for finding Jo'burg interesting decide to go to Melville that fine Monday afternoon.

Why are you raising your eyebrow at me? I know 7th street in Melville isn't exactly a historical museum but it is on the top of the list when consulting any guide book on places to be in Jo'burg. So there.
see the tourist bus stops here, therefore it warrants as a Jozi tourist spot

I also just happen to have a favourite little restaurant in Melville so wasted no time in going anywhere else.

Ant cafe is filled to the overflow with cool and kitch things that warms the heart of any hipster young and old. Along with some background music from 60's rock to Karoo classics this place is unique.

And here with yet another useful tip (nogal), visit Ant cafe on a Monday to enjoy their R40 on any pizza deal.

There's not much street cafe culture in Jozi so finding spots like 7th Street in Old Melville feels like a touristy thing to do. There's also second hand book stores, antique and vintage style shops and countless other bars/ restaurants and cafes to choose from. It's going to be cliche and I'm going to say it anyway... but there really is something for everyone.
(that's apart from parking now)

window display at Reminiscence
inside Ant cafe, there's a lovely outside area to the back too by the way
uhm... erotic plant over the weekend... really??

No comments:

Post a Comment