I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Constitution Hill, tourist on a mission


Even though Constitution Hill is supposedly one of the more famous historical sights to visit in Johannesburg I wasn't quite sure what to expect or what it was all about.

If you're like me and you're not sure either I'd recommend just a little bit of reading before hand (as in google it on your iphone on your way there), and be sure not to miss the 10 min orientation movie at the start of the tour. Here is the website

There were a few reasons why I wanted to go there at the start of my tourist challenge:
-It's old... I'm sure there is some explanation for a person like me simply loving old buildings and peeling paint, but that's one reason
-It has historical significance and I'm significantly fond of history, especially South African history.
-I read that it's free entry on Tuesdays... this was in fact not true anymore and was stopped just before the 2010 World Cup... clever. (Wow I'm getting really good this whole useful tips thing)
-It fits perfectly into an afternoon, give about 2 hours for the whole experience.
-and as mentioned, I didn't really know what it was all about so was curious to check it out.
What I loved about the complex is that you're pretty free to just walk around and do as you please, even though you can hire a personal tour guide. I loved that it was so empty, given that we went on a Tuesday afternoon, but I feel like that added to the eerie coolness of the whole experience.

I loved the mix of old original buildings that give you the creeps, to the newer buildings trying to incorporate historical significance and stylish African architecture. O and of course the art!

What I also loved, and this is important fellow Joburgers, is how safe I felt there, even though you're right next to Hillbrow. I think that's why most of us don't even think of going to these cool city places, because of the violent reputation. Honestly it felt safer parking my car there than at Cresta Mall.

Don't let the crime be the one thing stopping you from going.

The not so great part was that it didn't feel very user friendly, I would love to see a bit more organisation to the complex. I often had no idea where I was going, the maps and arrows around aren't wonderful.

Secondly there's a whole lot of restoration going on at the moment so I feel like I missed a good 40% of it all.
Parking also seemed like it could be a problem when there's more tourists around.

Do keep in mind when you come visit that it isn't exactly about rainbows and butterflies, it showcases a very tough and sad part of our history, so it's best to prepare to be a little depressed for a while. You'll read stories that will raise the hair on the back of your neck.
People being kept like animals in cells for not having a pass: Sucks!
Constitutional freedom in SA for over 17 years...: Rocks! Viva Democracy...


this is the entrance area (I think) this is also where the car was parked (safely!)

The doors to the constitutional court with the 27 basic constitutional rights for every South African and in every official language including sign language.
the law
an entire section is filled with art inspired by all things constitutional and unconstitutional

In one of the old cells with pictures and information of some of the former inmates. Ghandi being one of themThey make a pretty big deal about the fact that Ghandi used to stay here. Has it's own exhibition section
my attempt at taking an arty picture at a prison

The verdict: I'd recommend going, I suspect history nerds might enjoy it more, but it's worth a visit even if you're not. When: During the early afternoon (so that you miss crazy city traffic out). How much: R 30 per person. Getting there: Get onto Empire and keep going till you see the signs. eh easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment