I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Dealing with my Afrikaans roots: Voortrekker Monumnet



I don't sokkie, don't listen to RSG, I don't have a Kurt Darren CD, I don't even like koeksisters for crying out loud!

So you'd understand my blogging block when it comes to writing something remotely entertaining about the Voortrekker Monument, a proud symbol of the Afrikaans people.

I love being Afrikaans don't get me wrong but being Afrikaans leaves one with a few awkward subjects at times. We're the group that gave the world these words: Aardvark and Apartheid... both rather tricky to explain.

However, when I lived in Hanoi I hardly knew any other South Africans let alone Afrikaans speakers, so when I did find the random boertjie I'd talk just for the sake of talking. Speaking Afrikaans then was like hugging the other person with your words.

Well cultural identity crisis aside here is what I can say about the Voortrekker Monument, because I was rather excited to go.

If you'd like to go there yourself make sure you have something like this:Commonly known as a woman, friend, tour guide... Let's call this one Lallie. She's awesome, she actually paid attention in Primary school history, so she could explain basically what the whole monument was about. Well that and she's actually been to the location of the Battle of Blood River, which is the primary reason for the monuments existence.

What also adds to getting a clue about what this history is about it the useful sculptures that can be found within. Talk about a 3D experience, am I right? 20 min of walking about plus a Lallie equals for an instant history buff. This is my favourite part of the wall: women encourage the men not to give up hope. Girl power!

If that's not enough then there's always the embroidery wall on the lower level of the monument, illustrating daily life and historical events of the Voortrekkers. O look the Voortrekkers setting up camp:O yes and that dragon they fought...WTF?? Don't recall that part.

A highlight of the monument is to go to the top, by stairs or lift. For a stunning view of Pretoria (yes Jozi Tourist is out of her depth here). And a bit of an adrenaline rush view of the inside. What you see at the very bottom level is this: Which translates into "We're for you South Africa". Strangely reading this instantly got "De La Rey" by Bok van Blerk stuck in my head as opposed to our National Anthem (old or new)...Odd.

I didn't go to the museum on the property so don't have much to say about that. The lower levels have some old historical significant stuff, that would interest the history nerd. It at least seemed to interest the couple of Taiwanese tourist there, attentively listening to their tour guide.

In closing: I found the monument interesting, I'm not sure if you'll feel the same way if you're not Afrikaans or Taiwanese. I'd give about 1 to 2 hours to experience the place, that's without the museum also on the property. I'd be really nervous taking small kids up to the top for that inside view, but it is super cool. Entrance R45.



1 comment: