I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

I heart my backyard

Honestly the urge, itch, scratch, desire, pain, agony, character-building-in-between travel times, can get so challenging for me at times, that all I want to do is race to the airport like a mad woman and ask anybody, anything if I can climb into their suitcase.

Sadly this is not allowed, and I'm so painfully well behaved, so I have to find other ways to deal.

This blog as some of you know if my therapy for just that. Learning to appreciate what I do have around me, my hometown, good ol Jozi Jo.

So today, with no hope of any free-time in my so called 'flexible' schedule, being overcome with intense despair of not travelling, I decided to go take a picture of my pool and self-help my way to loving the here and now.

Because my backyard looks like this:
which is by no means supposed to evoke pity by the way, I know it's awesome... I'm just reminding myself that it's awesome

And not like this:
Taken this weekend, at Pilgrims Rest


Or this:
my parents having a glass of sunset wine this last weekend

My pool is now the symbol of these happy thoughts to hold onto.

-It's gorgeously hot out today, so yay for having the pool.
-I actually haven't even used it since being back, so a reminder that there is something new to try always, even in your backyard!
-I live in a house with a pool, which means a great many things that I am very thankful for.
-It's a pool, not the ocean, so no danger of Tsunamis have to cross my worried mind.
...Or pirates for that matter
-I don't have to pay 80 000 VND to use it like in Hanoi. Saving me time and money. Snaps for that.

I sincerely hope that this post hasn't wasted your time but in fact has inspired you to: blow up that rubber duck, whip out that bikini and love your own backyard.

Splash xx
***As established in a previous post... I'm a brat, because really, all I have to do is wait 2 more weeks and then I'll be off to travelling the States, can't wait. But o how deeply I will miss my pool! #appreciate!

3 comments:

  1. Not to distract from your most pleasant back yard, but there is a single pixel that caught my attention in this post. In the photo of your parents, there appears to be the tiniest of red glares in your father's eye. For me, it changes the entire tone and setting of the picture. It's as if he's some kind of cyborg interrogating your mother on a distant earth-like planet. Maybe he's a vampire. If you cant see the pixel I'm calling attention to, look at your screen from a different angle, or perhaps just take me to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you keep the lions out of your backyard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just keep them in the front yard, easypeasy

    ReplyDelete