I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Monday, September 26, 2011

a Barks and Trees therapy theory and something about liking Emmerentia


On a personal note...

Things have not been moving along as swiftly as I had imagined months back, staring out over Hanoi rooftops I had pictured my life back in South Africa and had images of "own place", "awesome job", "weekend breakaways", "a Jack Russel puppy".

Now a solid 3 months on we're still living with my parents, the job market might as well be another fantastical country for which we don't have the right visa and everyday seems like a day closer to the end for my 'sort of a type of a kinda jack russel' dog. Sad face.

But this blog is about the joys of being back so moving on then.

A major joy of going through all these character building challenges is that it forces one to find delight somewhere else. Not selling a house today, sucks. Painting a picture of blue trees, rocks.
No reply from sent out CV's, sucks. Running 3km, rocks.
No control of dstv remote control, sucks. Dog watching (more like stalking) at Emmerentia, rocks.
Delighted face.

I have found three major delights in the last while, them being: Running, painting and the wonder that is the botanical gardens Emmerentia. For today let's focus on the escape that is Emmerentia Botanical Gardens. Why more Northern Jo'burgers don't make more use of this wonderful place escapes me. Going there really helps with those moving to Cape Town fantasies, kicking the electrical fence walls around my parents house in rage cravings and the unhealthy obsessive desire for puppies. Jack Russel for me and a Ridgeback for the man.We especially love the dog walk (more like run free as the wind) section of the park. If you see the only sad couple walking around without a dog that would be us, staring at other dogs like a fat teenage girl on a diet at a cupcake.

We've even taken to borrowing my sister's dog just not to look so suspicious. Also test out how it would feel to take our own dogs there one day when we're grown ups. Like babysitting to check out the whole parenthood vibe.Dogs aside it's honestly one of my favourite places in Jo'burg hands down. I could go there everyday, I almost do. And with all this time that we have at the moment we are taking every opportunity to appreciate the park instead of worrying ourselves into a frenzy.Seems to me that a certain amount of blossoms (and barks) can cancel out certain amount of stress. (I'm still working on the scientific proof on this one) But go test it out for yourself if you're around, try go before the blossoms in the rose garden fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment