I realize that satisfaction and joy and good things in life is a heart thing, not a location thing. So in a way it’s more than just being back in Jo’burg and making it work, it’s about finding the cool in the mundane, the beauty in the face brick apartment complexes and the freedom beyond the security fences.

Monday, April 23, 2012

magical autumn

So with a post like the previous you can imagine I wasn't breaking my head over all the joyous things I can tell you about Jo'burg. Understandable right?

 It has however been more than 2 months now since that incident and I'm at even more of a need to find the little things to love about Jozi. And with a time limit too, you see, the Jo'burg tourist is once again filling in Visa paperwork and reading up on different culture-shock dealing strategies... yes I'm leaving you Johannesburg.

 No, not because of your crime, or politics, or distance from a forest or mountain. We most certainly know I'm not leaving you because of your gorgeous weather I 'm leaving you for the love of another. To cut the crap basically I'm moving to Washington State to live with my future husband who is conveniently and shockingly American. So in the view of this and with our 6 month dead line here is my topic of heart flutterings at the moment: Autumn or should I start calling it Fall?

 I've seemed to miss the last two years of Jo'burg changing it's colours (or should I now start saying colors), so as with Spring it's a real joy. I'm sure Jo'burg doesn't make it into most beautiful cities to see in the Autumn... Fall, pre-winter damit, but it sure does take the sting out of knowing what's coming. My theory is that God made Autumn so beautiful as if to help with dealing that glorious summer has now finished.

I love just how fleeting the beauty of Autumn usually is, how it colours the streets and side walks and pools with so many different kinds of reds and yellows you'd never need to see another flower again. Every week looks different than the week before till one week you look out and it's miserable winter, no more pretty leaves. But that's okay, because generally our winters aren't supposed to last long, compared to winters I've lived through in Hanoi it not that bad... Compared to the winter of the North West USA, it's a breeze, a chilly nippy kind, but still a breeze. So better not sulk too much. Happy yellow, brown and red to you Jozi. x

1 comment:

  1. Do you by any chance have a new blog, documenting your American Visa experiences? I want to get married to my American boy and go live in the states, but it just seems like such a minefield of legalities to manoeuvre, and it would be nice to hear from someone who got through it all alive! If you don't have a blog documenting it then that's ok, but if you have any links you think might be useful, please do send them this forlorn girl's way! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete